7/15/2010

Backlit Sunflower

(Toledo, OH) I planted a section of yellow sunflowers this spring in a corner of my yard, and the plants are now approaching nine feet in height. The flower heads atop the sunflower stalks are bright yellow, though they are not of the massive two-foot variety I imagined.

However, these plants will be providing 3-4 flowers per stalk, which I suppose ranks them a bit higher in the Department of Color Quantity. This would be like receiving a dozen term life insurance quotes with a single query, I suppose.

Another interesting aspect of these particular sunflowers is that each of the flowers has its own heliotropic behavior. I initially thought that the first flower would dictate the direction the plant ultimately faced, but the mechanism than controls heliotropism is apparently just below the bud for each blossom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home