6/04/2009

Johnny Tobak's Nite Club

(Toledo, OH) While driving down Consaul Street in East Toledo, I passed the building that once housed Johnny Tobak's Nite Club. A mural on the side of the building still advertises Pepsi-Cola for a mere nickel, though I suspect one would have difficulty finding a nearby merchant willing to honor that price.

Built in 1910, the structure that became Tobak's place was in the middle of Toledo's old Hungarian neighborhood, which is nowadays known as Birmingham. Interestingly, I have not been able to find much online about Johnny Tobak, though I recall hearing years ago that the club was something of a mobster hangout in the 1920s and 1930s.

More recently the building housed the Consaul Tavern, which closed a few years ago. The folks who own Tony Packo's Cafe up the street now own this empty building.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fire Fox said...

Wow, I used to have a draft every once in a while at the Consaul Tavern! It was definately a dive bar, but with character!

4:10 AM  
Blogger historymike said...

I never drank there when it was the Consaul tavern.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home