2/13/2009

Sign of the Economic Times

(Toledo, OH) The man standing at Secor and the I-475 exit ramp was reluctant for me to take his picture.

"I'm embarrassed about where I am and how I got here," he admitted. "If you don't mind, I'd rather not be in your picture."

Of course, it was the sign that intrigued me more than the middle-aged man in the Dallas Cowboys jacket. There is nothing new about panhandlers and beggars, especially in a Rust Belt city like Toledo, but I am seeing so many more folks than I used to.

And in such cold weather, too.

"I'm thinking about moving someplace warm, and where there are actually a few jobs," he told me. "I don't know how much more of this city I can take."

I gave him all the money I had on me, which was about 90 cents. Normally I don't make a habit of tossing cash to guys with hopeful signs, but this man was... different. He didn't strike me as the typical panhandler, and his embarrassment seemed legitimate, like someone wholly unused to asking for charity.

If he is there tomorrow, I'll probably help him out again. It's the least I can do to make up for the carload of teenaged idiots who yelled: "Get a job!"

Sad, that.

2 Comments:

Blogger David Ben-Ariel said...

Yes, I've seen a similar fellow near Spring Meadows and noticed how his signs changed daily. I especially noticed he was smoking.

When I lived in Jerusalem and worked at a youth hostel, I knew too many who used to "work" the Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall and present every story under the sun to get money from sincere but gullible souls.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Amanda Faith Moore said...

Mike, thank you for taking the time to talk to this gentleman. I have no idea who he was, but I'm sure he appreciated your kindness.

I am currently working on a project that may help guys (and gals) like Mike who want to work, not panhandle.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home