11/22/2008

Stark Black Tree

(Ida, MI) The use of a black-and-white image often creates startling effects, as in the case of this bare tree in a Monroe County cornfield. I took the original color photo on a sunny day with deep blue hues in the skies overhead, but the modified image looks dreary and bleak, like the setting for a late fall funeral or war zone.

I find that the authors of the typical electronics blog eschew color for stark realism. I'm not sure this is the best aesthetic approach, though to all bloggers their own color and style schemes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

This is really nice. B & W shows more in many cases.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous ksteinhoff said...

Reminds me of a picture I shot in Ohio back in the late 60s for The Athens Messenger. I had to shoot five photo essays a week and this particular morning I was sucking air. With only an hour or so to go before deadline, I saw this tree in the fog. It turned out to be one of the most popular pictures we ever published.

A few months later, I shot this follow-up picture when the tree was cut down as part of a flood control project.

A friend of mine wrote a short poem about the event. I still like this part almost 40 years later,

". . . consider the man.
who records the land.
low-key, like the hills.
gentle, like those who
who dot the country side.

familiar, calm.
he grabs his camera,
squints, clicks, moves on,
nonchalantly.

who ridicules the thought
of an "eternal message,"
yet mourns the passage
of a tree."

Yep, I like B&W.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home