5/01/2008

Where Once There was a Hardware Store Named Janney's

(Toledo, OH) I frequently drive past the intersection of Secor and Alexis Roads, which once boasted the upside-down signs of Janney's Ace Hardware. Bulldozers razed the buildings of the former business months ago, and the process of preparing the property for its new owners has begun.

Unfortunately, the site will become home to yet another big-box pharmacy, which in this case is the Rite-Aid Corporation. Yippee - I can now travel about 20 fewer yards in my trips to purchase acne treatment for my kids.


Yes, time marches forward, and I might be guilty of nostalgia, but I fail to see how the area benefits from the loss of Janney's Hardware and the opening of another cookie cutter pharmacy. The formerly thriving hardware store is another casualty of attrition in a world obsessed with with conglomerate retailers, and I do not begrudge Tim Janney and his family for selling the property.

Lord knows I would not want to have to compete with the likes of Home Depot and Lowe's.

Still, there is much to be said for having a neighborhood hardware store staffed with people who know the answers to your home improvement questions, as opposed to having to turn to minimum wage, pimply-faced 19-year-olds for "advice" at some of the warehouse hardware giants.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Rick Logue said...

I moved away from Toledo about 10 years ago. Janney's was one of those places I always used when giving people directions to my place. It is sad to hear this.

8:25 PM  
Blogger imagestored said...

Great Theme you have:-

Title:-It is a free image hosting site upload image and generate sharing links for easy post on forums and blogs

I wonder if the audience could know the function of the site
Great Features: Free image hosting, Photo hosting, blog image hosting, forum image hosting, easy image hosting
multiple images upload and share Image sharing. It is designed to focus on user experience to do easy
sharing of digital pictures and images with friends and other online audience. (blogs etc). when you select
browsing, the uploaded files will be queued up for upload and upload will start automatically. Check at
this link and experience the difference:-
http://www.imagestored.com/

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus, another Rite-Aid??? What is with Toledo and gigantic drug stores? I wish drug stores would just go back to selling, oh I don't know, DRUGS. And then they won't need to build these giant eye sores. And I don't really need to buy toilet paper with my percocet either.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home