1/27/2008

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

(Toledo, OH) I am always excited to get a glimpse of a woodpecker near my house, which is probably a function of the fact that I grew up in a blue colar Detroit neighborhood that seemed to attract only common birds like robins, wrens, and sparrows.

My eagle-eyed daughter actually first spotted this bird and informed me of its presence. She was able to spot the bird from 80 yards while sitting on the couch watching television, while it took me 30 seconds to discern it from half that distance.

Ah, to be young and sharp-eyed. Fortunately, a telephoto lens compensates for my less-than-ideal eyesight, and I am glad that I can at least enjoy amplified imagery.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Head looks might ruby red - but I am seeing a beige belly : )

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

My mom always says that her upbringing was so minimal that "even our birds were poor."

Have a great one.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home