6/17/2007

First Tiger Lily, Right on Time

(Toledo, OH) Overnight the first tiger lily in our yard opened, bringing a burst of orange and yellow hues to our rain-deprived yard.

Interestingly, last year I penned a short essay on
using natural phenomena to mark the passing of time, and one of the natural markers that is top of mind to me is the arrival of the tiger lillies in my yard. In both 2006 and 2007 the tiger lillies arrived on the date of June 17.

I would play that number in the lottery, except I rarely play the lottery, and when I do I always chide myself for ignoring the laws of probability.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is actually a Daylily...Maybe a "tiger lily" name, but a daylily. Real tiger lilies are not able to be cultivated and only grow in the wild.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home